The corrosive nature of a metal used in a motor body construction necessitates the application of an anti-corrosion coating. For this reason, the painting should be done.
The function of Painting:
- It reduces corrosion and protects the vehicle’s body.
- It is used for cleanliness. 3. It is used for aesthetic appearance.
- It is used to reduce the friction due to the aerodynamic drag and allow the vehicle in streamlining.
- It is used for identification purposes.
Requirements for Good Painting:
- It should be anticorrosive nature.
- It should protect the hidden parts also from corrosion.
- It should have an esthetic appearance.
- It should be a smooth finish for streamlining.
- It must reduce the aerodynamic drag.
Main Constituents of paints:
- Drying oil
- Dry Extenders
Reason for failures of paints:
- Not proper cleaning of the body before painting
- Not covering dents or spots.
- Not using proper good quality paint
- Not applied the pretreatment with zinc phosphate
Different Types of Painting
- Spray paint
- Hand paint
Spray Painting procedure: Nowadays spray paintings are largely used. The procedure is as follows:
- First of all the old paint should be scrapped with the help of scrappers
- If there is a nail or any obstruction they will be removed with the help of pincers
- The removal of old paint must be by application of caustic soda solution and spirit solutions.
- In some portions, heating is necessary with the help of a blowlamp for the removal of old paint.
5. The surface should be cleaned from dirt, dust, rust, grease, etc.
- The surface should maintain a perfect level from any kind of bends.
- Then once again clean with red oxide.
- Afterward, Duco paints or Delux paints or the required color may be sprayed on the vehicle as the primary coating.
- After the first coating is over we must see the variations of the surface clearly and apply the second coating and it will finish the painting job and gives a beautiful appearance.
- Then decoration and letter writing finishes the body paint.
- Finally, polish the vehicle thoroughly.